TMCAlumni at a glance
A way to get connected to your friends , colleagues and one and only TMC...Interact at regional, National and International level...
Trivandrum Medical College Alumni Association was formally inaugurated on 16th September 2006 by the then Hon’ble Speaker of Kerala Assembly Sri. M. Vijayakumar. In fact the idea of forming an Alumni Association for this oldest Medical College of Kerala was evolved during the Association of Kerala Medical Graduates of USA and Canada (AKMG) Conference held at Trivandrum way back in December 2004 and the men behind the move was Dr. Narendra R. Kumar (1971 batch), then president of AKMG, Dr. M. Krishnan Nair (1959 batch) founder Director, Regional Cancer Center and Padmasree awardee and Dr. C.S. Madhu, Professor Radiotherapy (1974 batch) to name a few. An Adhoc committee was formed with Dr. M. Krishnan Nair as President and Dr. C.S. Madhu as Hon Secretary. Immediately after this Dr. C.S. Madhu was transferred to Medical College, Kottayam and only in 2006 formal alumni activities could be started. When Dr. C. John Panicker (1970 batch) took over as Honorary Secretary. Initially the emphasis was on membership drive and in the first year itself the membership could reach 900 and in 2007 a grand Alumni Convention was organized at Trivandrum in which mainly 1500 Alumni from various parts of the world participated. The cultural nite of this convention was really memorable one with a lot of film celebrities including Padmasree Mohanlal participated. Every year one half-yearly conference and an annual convention have been organized since 2007. During this period a lot of academic and infrastructural projects were undertaken by the Association with the cooperation of Govt. of Kerala to help the students, staff and patients of Trivandrum Medical College.
Hospital Information Center:
The suggestion to establish a patient Information center was mooted by the then Health Secretary of Kerala Dr. Vishwas Mehta IAS, with the help of Principal Dr. Ramdas Pisharody. We could establish this center just opposite the Dental College at the right side of main entrance. This air-conditioned building has 800 sq. ft. floor area and presently houses the Patients Information Center and Death Registration section of Trivandrum Corporation are operating here. By this center we could provide necessary information to patients and bystanders regarding details of out patient clinics, condition of inpatients, location of various labs and departments etc. thereby closing a great lacuna inside the Medical College Hospital inpatient service. The total cost of this center was Rs. 20 lakhs and was inaugurated by the then patron Hon’ble Minister of Kerala (Health) Smt. P.K. Sreemathy Teacher in December 2008. Recently we conducted the maintenance work of the building by changing the roof and electrical parts by spending nearly Rs. 1.5 lakhs.
Learning Resource Center
The concept of starting LRC at Trivandrum Medical College was solely from Dr. Narendra R. Kumar the then President of AKMG. Part of central Library was modified to accommodate the LRC which occupies an area of 1200 sq. ft. and this air-conditioned space houses 12 computer outlets for the use of students and staff to browse internet, specially to download e-journals and e-text books.
In addition it has a small conference room and facility to take Photostats and to help in preparing thesis work of postgraduate medical students. This project was established with the help of CDAC, Trivandrum at a cost of Rs. 100 lakhs spent by AKMG USA. This center was inaugurated in the year 2002 by the Chief Minister of Kerala Sri. A.K. Antony. This center is presently maintained by our Alumni Association and has at present 3 permanent staff in LRC, who with the regular staff of Central Library is managing the Centre exceptionally well.
The next major project which we have undertaken was the renovation of the old auditorium at a cost of Rs. 25 lakhs, and have developed the old auditorium to a modern convention hall with digital equipments and modern sound systems. This renovated auditorium was reopened by Sri. Vayalar Ravi Hon’ble Central Minister during the annual conference of 2009. Presently we have started airâ€‘conditioning the auditorium with improving the acoustic qualities at a cost of Rs. 35 lakhs. The work is already entrusted with HLL Ltd. a public sector undertaking of Govt. of India. The work is expected to be finished on Nov 30, 2012.
With the help of 1974 MBBS batch we have established the female BURNS ICU near ward 19 and provided nursing and attending staff since 2009. The annual cost of maintenance is borne by the 1974 MBBS batch which comes to around 2 lakhs INR.
Every year we are providing scholarships of Rs 10,000/- each to 25 undergraduate students for the year 2007 onwards. The major donor for this venture is Dr. Krishna Prasad 1974 MBBS batch, now in Milwaukee USA.
Presently the Alumni Association has a membership of 1750 and every year the outgoing students are joining the association in large numbers. We wish to enroll all passing out MBBS students before they start their house surgeoncy.
Every year we are arranging academic programs for the students and staff at regular intervals and also whenever senior NRI Alumni visit Trivandrum to share their experience and interact with the students of our Alma Mater.