Alumni Association founded in the year 2004 is a registered association which was formally inaugurated on 16th September 2006.
Every year the association organizes the Alumni meet. All alumni faculty are the member of the association.
The College Campus has 139 acres of picturesque land with a number of hillocks surrounded by evergreen coconut groves and paddy fields, facing the sea which lies at a distance of three kilometers, and is located on the North-West border of the Trivandrum City. The College, linked with the different sections of the city by bus routes, is very near the national highway NH 47 and the nearest railway station is just few kilometers from the college.
The foundation stone of the College was laid by His Highness the Raja Pramuk of Travancore Cochin at 11:45 AM on 26-01-1950. The first batch of sixty students was admitted in August 1951. The College was formally inaugurated by Shri. Jawaharlal Nehru at 8:00 AM on 27th November 1951. In January 1952, the Sri. Avittom Thirunal Hospital (SATH) was inaugurated by Smt. Rajakumari Amrit Kaur. In 1952, men’s hostel and one year later women’s hostel were also inaugurated. The Medical College Hospital was inaugurated by Shri. Jawaharlal Nehru in 1954.
The Cancer block was inaugurated in 1958 and later after two decades the Regional Cancer Centre, one of the premier cancer care centers in South India was established.
Over the years, the campus saw the establishment of Sree Chitra Thirunal Centre, College of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Priya Darsini Institute of Paramedical Sciences , Silver Jubilee Auditorium and the various hostels. The institution had thus grown to glorious proportions. It is financed and administrated by Department of Health and Family welfare dept, Govt. of Kerala. The Medical College is affiliated to the Kerala University of Health Sciences.
Now the SAT Hospital has about 800 beds and caters for about 50,000 in-patients per year. The hospital has 5 pediatric Units, Pediatric Nephrology and Neonatology Units, Pediatric Neurology and Pediatric Cardiology have emerged as new departments. The pediatric Department is conducting specially clinics on Childhood Respiratory disease, Pediatric Cardiology, Pediatric Neurology, Neonatology, Nutrition, Rheumatology, Endocrinology, Nephrology and Genetic disorders. Immunization and well baby clinic and child Guidance Clinic are important assets of the Child Development Centre housed in the same campus is a centre of excellence with national as well as international reputation.
The KHRWS Pay wards in SAT Hospital was inaugurated in 1975. the Silver Jubilee of our Medical College was celebrated in 1976 and was inaugurated by the then Prime Minister Indira Gandhi. The SAT Hospital Health Education Society (SATHHES) was launched in 1994, which is helping the “SAT Hospital” in all fields of its activity.
Are we ready to take the challenge of imprinting our footprints in the Campus?
STEPPING STONES IN THE HISTORY
1905 - Inauguration of Ophthalmic Hospital
1946 - Foundation stone for SAT Hospital
1948 - Appointment of Special Officer (Dr.C.O.Karunakaran) for starting Medical College.
1950 - Foundation stone for Medical College.
1951 - First batch of M.B.B.S students were admitted.
1951 - College was inaugurated by the Prime Minister Sri.Jawaharlal Nehru.
1952 - Inauguration of S.A.T Hospital
Inauguration of Men’s Hostel
1954 - Inauguration of Medical College Hospital with 450 Beds.
1958 - Cancer Block
1959 - B.D.S Course and Dental College
Post Graduate Course
New Nurses Hostel
1964 - Artificial Limb Centre Started
1967 - B. Pharm Course
Comprehensive Rehabilitation Research & Training Project started.
1970 - Mental Hospital and Ophthalmic hospital becomes part of Medical College.
1972 - 4 year B.sc Nursing course.
Inauguration of S.C.T.M.C
Department of Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation commissioned.
1973 - New Block of College of Nursing
1974 - Silver Jubilee Exhibition
1975 - Inauguration of College of Pharmaceutical Sciences
Foundation Stone for Regional Limb Fitting Centre
1976 - Teachers Training Programme started
1978 - New Building for Regional Limb Fitting Centre
1982 - PEID cell started
1996 - Dr.COK Auditorium, Silver Jubilee
2000 - MEDEX Exhibition
2001 - PANACEA Exhibition
2002 - Golden Jubilee
Inauguration of Learning Resource Centre (LRC)
2006 - Trivandrum Medical College Alumni Association was formally inaugurated on 16th September.
2007 - Up gradation of Govt. Medical College, Thiruvananthapuram to the status of AIMS, inaugurated and foundation stone laid by Dr. Anbumani Ramadoss, Hon’ble Union Minister of Health and Family Welfare on 24-11-2007.